Wednesday, March 12, 2014

What happened to my VM networks(VLans)?

Okay...so I'm building a mass amount of VMs using Vmware ESXi 5.1 to construct a Windows domain with rogue systems to practice my uber hacking skills:) and something goes terribly wrong. I can no longer add my VMs to the VM networks that I created that are linked to VLANs on my Cisco switch. I did some reading and there is a setting on the Vswitch properties that can increase/decrease the amount of virtual ports per virtual switch. I had it set to only 120 ports...I have 500+ VMs. Okay, so I set the threshold to the max of 4088 to both of my virtual switches. Voila! My virtual switches disappeared. My VM networks all gone.

Based on this article, the issue occurred when the total number of ports exceeds 4608. It doesn't matter if you have one or several virtual switches configured. The number of total virtual ports cannot exceen 4608. B-I-N-G-O-!

I made the changes for each virtual switch(2) that I am using to have 504 ports each and rebooted the ESXi server. 

All is well in virtualization land. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment